Thursday, August 7, 2014

Slowly Getting Back to "Normal"


I've been MIA from the blogsphere and from life in general lately. 

Crime happened to me. Even though I wasn't physically hurt, the psychological impact has been more than I cared to admit. Our "normal" has been disrupted, and my confidence has been shaken.
  
The entire incident has left me feeling a little despondent about life in general simply because I feel so helpless regarding the entire matter and have been constantly looking over my shoulder ever since.

I tried putting up a brave face and continued to go through the motions of everyday life. I thought I was doing a good job at it until my kids pointed it out. Clearly, it wasn't working.

One day out of the blue, my kids kissed me and told me to "try again", just like what I always tell them when they're faced with something difficult. It was a wake-up call for me. 

I've been talking to my husband about it, and that has helped. In all of the conversations that we've had about this incident, one of the things that he said has resonated with me, "...don't let them steal your joy."



I thought about this for a long time. Obviously it is easier said than done. 

It started with just thinking about this message everyday. From there, I've been consciously trying to find some simple joys in life and focus on it each day. This has helped most of the time to pull me out of this slump. I still have moments where I'm gripped by negative emotions, but I'm slowly bouncing back. I won't let them steal my joy.




5 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about the bad things that happened and hope things will get better for you real soon. Sometimes I realize no natter how much we try to prevent bad things to happen, it still happens and that just makes us feel worse about the whole situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness. i'm so sorry about what happened and i'm glad that there wasn't any physical injuries. i have been through something three times in my life out in public where i felt i was in danger. i was able to bounce out of it except one of the incidents i was shaken up for a few days. i hope you'll find your norm again. and yes that quote is so true. sending my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear this, Jane!!!! Kids are so intuitive, aren't they? Definitely don't let them steal their joy, or the joy your kids get from seeing you be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry bad incident happened to you. I'm sure it'll take time to heal and I'm glad to see your family member is giving you the full-on support. It's very important at this time. Your husband is right. Don't let steal your happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, I had a feeling something was wrong when I didn't see any posts from you. I'm not blogging everyday, still out of town and have limited wifi. So I don't check the computer but so often. I am really saddened to hear this. This world is crazy. There are so many desperate people. I'm just glad physically you're ok. No matter how much we prepare horrible things like this can happen. I limit trips out. I sometimes only carry my drivers license etc when grocery shopping. It's hard. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...